RSVP Gets Involved
Schedule a Presentation
Host a "Matter of Balance" Class
Need a presentation? Are you a member of a service organization, a church, or other community organization/group that needs a program for a meeting? RSVP has trained volunteers for these presentations. Each presentation can be tailored to fit the time allotment you have for a program.
- Get Prepared - Disaster Preparedness -Volunteers will present information on how to have your family prepared for potential disaster or emergencies. Topics include developing a Family Communications Plan, how to assemble a 3-day Disaster Supply Kit for your family and pets, and how to shelter-in-place. Get informed and get prepared! It is not a question of “if” but “when”; we never know when disaster might strike. This presentation is done in collaboration with the Boone County Disaster Assistance Committee and American Red Cross.
- SAIF – (Seniors Against Investment Fraud) - Seniors are a prime target of frauds and scams. In partnership with the Iowa Insurance Division RSVP volunteers present information on educating Iowans over the age of 50 about investment fraud and how to avoid being victimized. Real-life scams, tips for spotting potential fraud and how to report it to the authorities; these are just some of the topics presented. Seniors will come away from the presentation with tools to help them from becoming just another statistic of frauds and scams.
- Food Assistance Outreach (Boone County) – RSVP partners with the ISU Extension to educate older adults about the kinds of food needed to stay healthy as they age and how they can buy these foods on fixed income through the Iowa Food Assistance program. Volunteers share information on how to apply for Food Assistance and can help older adults apply online or by filling out a hard copy of the application form for Food Assistance.
RSVP Adult Caregiver Respite Program (Boone County) - Respite Volunteers help fulltime caregivers of adults age 25 years or older, who need time off! Fulltime caregivers need to take time to care for themselves; it is a necessity to better care for their loved one. Freerespite service is just a phone call away to give fulltime caregivers two to four hours a week or month of free time away from their care giving responsibilities. Respite volunteers form a friendship with the care recipients relieving the caregiver of worries when leaving the home for a short break.
- GAP (Grocery Shopping Progam-Greene County) - Because there is only one grocery store in Greene County to accommodate the area and surrounding communities, individuals eligible for GAP in communities outside of Jefferson may have a harder time with their grocery shopping. The purpose of GAP is to help clients maintain their independence and remain in their homes by performing a function necessary for independent living. Client participation may be short term (due to illness or recuperation) or long term.
- RSVP 55+ Volunteer Program - Learn about what RSVP is and what RSVP volunteers do in your community.
Schedule a Matter of Balance Class (Boone County only)
“A Matter of Balance” is designed to benefit community-dwelling older adults who are concerned about falls, have sustained a fall in the past, restrict activities because of concerns about falling, and are interested in improving flexibility, balance and strength. Classes help participants learn to view falls and fear of falling as controllable, set realistic goals for increasing activity, change their environment to reduce fall risk factors, and promote exercise to increase strength and balance.
Boone Co. 515-433-7836
Greene Co. From Jefferson land line 370-1099
All other 515-370-1099