RSVP Gets Involved
Schedule a Presentation
Host a "Matter of Balance-Falls Prevention" Class
Need a presentation? Are you a member of a service organization, a church, or other community organization/group that needs a program for a meeting? RSVP has trained volunteers for these presentations. Each presentation can be tailored to fit the time allotment you have for a program.
- Pillowcase Project - American
Red Cross of Central Iowa does not have youth disaster preparedness in the
schools. RSVP has partnered with Red
Cross for education to students on disaster (emergency) preparedness to be
conducted in the school 3rd grade classes. Project curriculum is a preparedness
program structured by three core
principles:Learn, Practice and
Share.TrainedRSVP volunteers go through an interactive
activity book students receive about hazards, how to prepare for emergencies,
enhance coping skills, practice what they have learned and share their
knowledge with friends and family. The program emphasizes the importance of
developing an emergency communications plan, fire evacuation plan and emergency
contact cards. Each student receives a pillowcase, volunteers go through its purpose, what can be put in it and its importance.
- WIN-Wellness, Independence, and Nutrition Outreach Education (Boone County) – RSVP partners with the ISU Extension to educate older adults about the kinds of food needed to stay healthy as they age and how they can buy these foods on fixed income through the Iowa Food Assistance program. Interactive educational presentations.
- RSVP In-Home Visitation Program (Boone and Greene County - Provides connectedness and friendship to socially isolated older adults or disabled adults. May be long term or short term (due to illness or recuperation). This is a free service.
- RSVP GAP (Grocery Assistance-shopping Program-Greene County) - A service that helps disabled adults of any age and persons age 60 and older who may have difficulty getting groceries from the store to he kitchen. GAP helps participants maintain their independence. Participation may be short term (due to illness or recuperation) or long term. This is a free service.
- RSVP 55+ Volunteer Program - Learn about what RSVP is, what RSVP volunteers do in your community, and how you can become a part of RSVP.
Schedule a Matter of Balance -Falls Prevention Class (Boone County) - A Matter of Balance-Falls Prevention (MOB) is designed to benefit community-dwelling older adults who are concerned about falls, have sustained a fall in the past, restrict activities because of concerns about falling, and are interested in improving flexibility, balance and strength. Classes help participants learn to view falls and fear of falling as controllable, set realistic goals for increasing activity, change their environment to reduce fall risk factors, and promote exercise to increase strength and balance.
Michele Hull, Director
Boone County Coordinator
Greene County Coordinator
515-370-1099 (local cell)